Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The stars will be out soon

I send cards to death row inmates whom have received an execution date. It is part of  the great work Envelopes of Hope does.

I wondered how I would feel days away from my execution. I would feel so alone. So when I got the name and address of the man that would be soon get executed, I wrote: "I hope you will be able to see the sky at night, because every star represents someone thinking of you. Remember this when you look at the stars. You are not alone."

Just a few days after he was executed I received a letter from him. I didn't open the envelope right away. I just held it. It felt strange to have a letter in my hands from someone who isn't on this earth anymore. He was the 453th man executed in the State of Texas.

At the beginning of the letter he seemed to be in good spirits. He made jokes and sounded upbeat. I wondered what was going through his mind. Did he understand what I meant with my words? Did he know he wasn't alone? I got my answer at the end of his letter.

He wrote: "It's getting dark. The stars will be out soon."

I cried.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, the death watch cells have no view, and even if they did, the lights are too bright day and night for anyone that does have a window with a view to enjoy a real night sky.

Io sono qui said...

Well maybe the knowledge of the stars being out was enough for him.